Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Two Handed Pitcher?!?!!?


If you are around my age(27) you remember back in the good old days of video games. No, I'm not talking Playstation 1!! I'm talking about Nintendo, and Super Nintendo. Back in those days Baseball Video Games; let's just say they weren’t as "technologically advanced as they are now. As in, pitchers would pitch with both hands.

Well, in real life finally that has come true. Pat Venditte, former Creighton pitching great, finally made his debut with the Yankees big club in Spring Training today. Normally, an end of the spring game means just about nothing, especially when a guy is pitching who was the 6,000000th pick of the draft a few years ago and has a spring era about as equally as high. Venditte, however, made history by pitching with BOTH arms in the same outing! The amazing thing about Venditte, he has velocity with both arms and even uses a different delivery from both sides! It really is mind-boggling! Check his outing out on YouTube if you get the chance!

Fantasy Relevance: Well, back in the early days of my league with my buddies, we always tried to "one-up" each other at the end of drafts by taking "joke" picks. Now, that’s not the case anymore since the league has expanded to 12 players and is very competitive, making every pick count, but back in the day we would take guys towards the end (think Carlos Baerga circa 2005)..... So, with Venditte heading back to the minors, he would make a very solid "joke pick" in the 21st round. I could actually see Venditte getting a call up come July or August, but even so no need to keep him on your long term fantasy radar.

Coming up next blog: Who has a chance to be this year's " Bonifacio? "

3 comments:

  1. Roy : Fantasy Advice :: 5 yr old : Investment advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well based on your draft that you claimed you did "zero preparation" for, it seems you followed quite a bit of my advice from my first blog....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering I had my first draft before you posted your first blog entry and I drafted Blanks, Matusz, Heyward, and Fausto....I'd have to say you were just following my lead.

    ReplyDelete